Technology’s Best-Kept Secret
There’s no such thing as a “laptop” – and here’s why: When laptops are tested for thermal safety, they are kept 8 inches (or 20 cm) from the bodies of the test subjects. Simply put, laptops are not tested for safety on laps. The FCC regulation clearly states:
“Mobile devices are transmitters designed to be used in such a way that a separation distance of at least 20 centimeters is normally maintained between the transmitter’s radiating structure(s) and the body of the user or nearby persons.” – FCC BULLETIN 65
So, if you are using them on your lap, you are technically being a non-compliant consumer (Oh my! Tsk Tsk!) This exceeds the federal guideline for exposure (and you risk being burned). But how would you know? This information is buried DEEP in your user manual. We touch on this hidden but important info in our Stylus video. Check it out here!
Wifi Dangers and your body
A recent study show significant changes indicating DNA damage of sperm in rat testes when closely exposed to wireless energy in the mid-body region. You can view the study below in our reference area. Your laptop also emits two other kinds of energy (magnetic and electric) but we at Safertech are most concerned with wireless because it’s only been around for such a short time and no one can agree how harmful it is, if at all. (We’re leaning towards some)
What You Can Do About It
- As we say here at Safertech, the best EMF prevention/protection is DISTANCE. Put that laptop on the desk or pillow! 12 inches or more, just to be safe.
- Another one of my favorite tips is to keep your laptop wired! That means turn your wifi and Bluetooth off. Access the internet via through an ethernet cable.) I insist my employees do this at work…and your internet will be faster and more secure.
- If you really can’t commit to hard-wiring or using a desk or pillow distance all of the time, this is one of the only times we’d recommend you use a shield. This is not our favorite option because we’ve personally found shielding 1) only protects you from magnetic energy 2) is problematic because it often doesn’t shield the edges of your device and in some cases, increases/multiplies the bad energy on the perimeter.
- Another tip I personally use is utilizing a external keyboard so the CPU is farther at a distance. Easy peasy! Use a wired mouse and printer, too – just like we implore you to keep your landline as a healthier option to mobile and cordless phones when at home. Using a wired auxiliary keyboard and wired mouse is a great idea so you don’t have to touch your warm mousepad with your finger tips. That heat is the two other forms of yucky EMF energy (magnetic and electric energy)
Make your stationary laptop set-up as comfy as you can so you aren’t tempted to break away and use your computer wirelessly.If you can’t commit to being “grounded” (as electricians would say), use your laptop on battery instead of using the main power source. The most potentially harmful and strong EMF energy happens when you are streaming video, so don’t do that – or download your file when the laptop is not near your body.
A final note
- Children seem to be susceptible to EMF absorption in general, but with laptops especially. Their little bodies are too tiny to be situated properly at a desk and the antennae of the laptop is likely level with their head and chest. Tablets are just as problematic – perhaps even more so because the kiddos hold them so close to their bodies. A desktop is a better option for them as the CPU will probably be on the floor away from them – and plus, you can monitor their web usage more for safety reasons.
Edited to add:
During the editorial process of this article, one of our co-workers told us a truly worrying story. His wife is six months pregnant with their first child. One recent night, she called him downstairs to show him her belly. She’d been working on the internet and resting her laptop on her belly (Oy vey, I know!) She noticed the baby would start moving vigorously every time she placed the laptop back down on her abdomen – and she wanted her husband to see because she thought it was neat. Luckily, her husband told her to stop and why….And that, folks, is why Safertech works so hard to bring you preventative education (backed up with scholarly articles) that you can share with your loved ones.
Below is an excerpt from a research article from Dr. Devra Davis entitled, “Why Children Absorb More Microwave Radiation and The Consequences” but you can read the study in its entirety linked below.
Children absorb more MWR than adults because their brain tissues are more absorbent, their skulls are thinner and their relative size is smaller. MWR from wireless devices has been declared a possible human carcinogen. Children are at greater risk than adults when exposed to any carcinogen. Because the average latency time between first exposure and diagnosis of a tumor can be decades, tumors induced in children may not be diagnosed until well into adulthood. The fetus is particularly vulnerable to MWR.
Wifi/Laptops causes deleterious effects on rat testes - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22465825
Why Children Absorb More Microwave Radiation: The Consequences - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213879X14000583